High Ion Exchange (HIE™)
Chemically Strengthened Glass is Ultra-Tough
Santa Paula, CA – Abrisa Technologies’ High Ion Exchange or HIE™ glass is chemically strengthened glass that has increased strength as a result of a post-product chemical process. This process typically increases the strength of the glass by 6 to 8X that of float glass. The ion-exchange process creates a deep compression layer on the surface of the glass structure, reducing the introduction of flaws once incorporated into the end product and put into service.
Typically used for electronic display screens such as smartphones, laptop and tablet computers, mobile devices, touchscreens, and more, HIE™ glass provides outstanding resistance to breakage, scratches and temperature fluctuations.
HIE™ chemically strengthened glass advantages:
- Improved impact resistance
- Improved flexibility strength
- Improved scratch resistance
- Improved resistance to temperature changes
According to Susan Hirst, General Manager of Abrisa Technologies, “At Abrisa Technologies, we can supply the following HIE™ glass to the market; Corning® Gorilla® Glass, SCHOTT Xensation™ Cover glass, and AGC Dragontrail™.” Hirst further states, “These thin glass solutions allow Abrisa Technologies to offer a diverse portfolio of thin glass options to the display, defense, medical and industrial markets. We can service an extremely broad selection of requirements with the wide array of substrates we can provide.”
By using a thin glass such as Corning® Gorilla® Glass, SCHOTT Xensation™ Cover glass, or AGC Dragontrail™, the end product will have improved transmission, reduced weight , and reduced mounting costs as just some of the significant advantages.
Abrisa Technologies can provide customized fabrication solutions for their HIE™ glass that include the application of thin film coatings, various edge treatments, custom cutting and drilling, screen printing, Bus Bars and more.”
*Abrisa Technologies HIE™ Glass offerings include:
- Corning® Gorilla® Glass:
- Thicknesses – 0.5 mm through 2.0 mm
- Sheet Size – (1250 mm x 900 mm) or (49.2″ x 35.4″)
- SCHOTT Xensation™:
- Thicknesses – 0.5 mm through 3.0 mm
- Sheet Size – (1150 x 950 mm) or (45.3″ x 37.4″) and (475 x 575 mm) or (18.7″ x 22.6″)
- AGC Dragontrail™:
- Thicknesses – 0.8 mm and 1.1 mm
- Sheet Size – (1219 mm x 737 mm) or (48″ x 29″)
* Theses are the standard sizes that these raw materials are available in, and/or can be fabricated to. In terms of supplying a strengthened piece of glass with fabrication, screen print and coatings (value-added) manufacturing, the maximum size that Abrisa Technologies can offer is 36″ x 29″ (915 mm x 737 mm).
According to Jim Veler, President and CEO for Abrisa Technologies, “Our strength here at Abrisa Technologies is to provide our customers with fully integrated optics solutions. We not only can supply high quality glass, but we can fabricate it and coat it to meet just about any customer requirement.” He further states, “At Abrisa Technologies, our product and service capabilities allow us to be the single source solution for high precision, high quality optics.”
About Abrisa Technologies: Abrisa Technologies is headquartered in Santa Paula, California and is comprised of three divisions that provide precision optical products and services. The divisions include; Abrisa Industrial Glass, Inc., Sycamore Glass Components, and ZC&R Coatings for Optics. As a market leader in optical coatings and high quality precision glass fabrication, Abrisa Technologies is dedicated to providing premier customer service and cost-effective products that fit each customer’s exacting requirements. www.abrisatechnologies.com